"Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best." - Theodore I. Rubin

Saturday, February 6, 2010

First race of 2010...


I raced my first race of the year this morning and it felt good to get in a competitive effort. It was a 10k in Texas, and the course was a bit long, 6.3 instead of 6.2, and there was a strong headwind the last 3 miles. My time was not fast for me at all, 35:19, yet considering the circumstances and the fact that I have been doing mostly marathon work, I am satisfied for now. It was fun to wear the MarathonGuide.com logo proudly, for the first time. I have the Tempe Skirtchaser race on Feb. 13th, so I hope to defend my title with a third win this year :) They usually put on a fun event so I am looking forward to it. I am enjoying the sunshine of Texas and relaxing before an early flight back to Phoenix tomorrow morning. I am super excited to see my three boys, Wilbur, Barney and Winston, and get back in my routine.

I am very excited because I just bought my first TT bike (time trial/triathlon) bike, last week!! It's the Specialized Transition Comp, and I love it so far. I have hardly been on it because I am still getting the seat post cut and also having Endurance Rehab fit me on it perfectly. It feels a little overwhelming to think that I made this huge decision but ultimately I believe it will make a big difference during my half Ironman in the end of March (Oceanside). My road bike is ok for short rides, but I am not super comfortable on it. I really have to thank Triple Sports in Scottsdale for helping me get the Specialized bike and supporting me so much with all my triathlon goals. The staff at the store is fantastic and always super helpful!

The bone spur in my heel has been acting up again, so I have been running less, and biking and swimming more. I plan to run about 4 days per week up until Oceanside and hope that it helps my foot calm down. If it's not healed by the end of March I will evaluate what to do, even if it means taking off multiple weeks in a row. Let's hope that doesn't happen, but I'll wait and see and hope for the best. Of course Endurance Rehab continues to help me, any way that they can, and I appreciate it immensely.

I am excited to see how things continue to go for me in 2010. It's hard to believe that it's already into February. Time flies faster every single year. I want this year to be fun and full of decisions that I make for myself, not based off what others tell me or what I think others want me to do. Last year when I sought advice from too many outside people, rather than listening to my gut, I didn't have the results I wanted and I started to not enjoy competing anymore. I am sure having the foot injury didn't help, because that was always in the back of my mind. However this year I want to go after goals and dreams that are personal and I know I will feel fulfilled, regardless of the outcome, because it will be a year of my own desires and decisions.

Overall, things are going well. Sub teaching is fine and I am at least grateful I have the opportunity to have a job each day if I want. However I am realizing more and more each day that with time flying by so fast and the women's olympic marathon trials most likely coming in the fall of 2011, every single day, week and month matter so much if I want to be in the hunt for a spot on the 2012 marathon team. Decisions I make starting now, will affect my long term development over the next 21 months!!

Well, I will post a pic of me with my new bike as soon as I take one...have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Good run in TX Sally, quite an impressive time, even if you lumped it into the "just ok" category. Good luck next week with Skirt Chaser - here's cheering ya for the 3-peat!! Hope that bone spur mellows out - you are so talented and such an incredible athlete. Bring on the 2012 Olympics with Sally leading the USA!! And for some fun along the way, enjoy the new bike and the TRI's.

    ReplyDelete