"Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best." - Theodore I. Rubin

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

On the flip side...


I can’t even express in words how grateful I am to all the people who have supported me in athletics from when I was a tiny little super fast swimmer, short-lived soccer player, triathlete and of course forever a runner ☺ Doing triathlons and running professionally take up most of my time these days and part of my reward is the wonderful feeling of having a support crew (up to 7 of us once going to Cancun☺) sitting next to me on the plane or arriving from other destinations to simply….watch me RACE. Somehow they enjoy getting up early, dealing with me if I am tense and nervous and in a bad mood ;), running around on the course cheering (or hopping on subways all over the 5 boroughs of NYC), standing in the sun (or freeeeezing cold), pouring hurricane rains (Cancun) waiting…and waiting…and waiting…until I am finally done. Ironically, 3 of my biggest career highlights, winning the first ever ACC Women’s Individual title in Cross Country for Duke, winning my first National Championship in 2009 and recently winning the More Fitness Women’s Half Marathon in NYC, none of my family or incredibly special people in my life were there to see any of them. Of course there are great people on the sidelines cheering, friends or acquaintances, etc. yet none of my immediate family or anyone super close to me were there to watch and celebrate. Maybe it allowed me to channel all of my nerves and emotions into the task at hand…go for it, balls to the wall ☺

Not running or racing right now doesn’t fuel that super competitive, fierce desire I have to go out and really make my body hurt. Therefore, going to watch someone race gives me that excitement and I really love it. I got to watch my sister race about a week and a half ago; she had one good race and her second one was really motivating. She raced really strong and made moves when I yelled at her; it got me so pumped up ☺

A quote I saw recently that I really liked…”Winners are too busy to be sad, too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated”

My pic: my awesome support crew from my half Ironman in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment