"Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best." - Theodore I. Rubin

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Spirit of the Marathon, Eating Well + Am I fit??


Yesterday I watched the movie "Spirit of the Marathon" for the first time and it was so inspiring and made me proud to be a marathoner. It was made a few years ago and followed about 6 runners, both professional and recreational, before the 2005 Chicago marathon. I often get so wrapped up in my own race that I don't enjoy the journey or the race itself, until I cross the finish line, haha. The movie made me realize there is so much more to the marathon than simply the finish time on the clock. You can train your butt off for many months leading up to the race and anything can happen on race day.

Watching people train and get so excited about running made me so proud to be among them. Running a marathon is something a very small percentage of all people in the world will ever do, and it truly is an unbelievable event. I'm a fan of anyone who runs, whether it's a 5k, half marathon or marathon and people who find the joy in it truly make me smile; my heart reaches out to them when I see them run one for the first time, because I remember the exact feelings I had. It's very inspiring to be a part of the running community and I'm so extremely happy that running, road races and prize money for the pros have not been affected by the economy. Running actually continues to be on the rise and I'm so grateful for the increased participation because people are not letting tough economic times affect their health and joy they derive from running.

It's been 27 days of no sweets, alcohol, desserts, junk food, etc. and I'm doing well with it! It really hasn't been too hard. I have had a couple days where I really crave some potato chips or a cupcake or something, haha, but it eventually passes :) It feels good to be eating really healthy and being strong with any temptations I have.

This morning my 10k race at Horse Lovers Park in Scottsdale went alright, not super great. I decided to do the race rather than a workout on my own and I ran right around my goal pace (ran 5:39 average and goal was 5:40). However it felt pretty challenging and two years ago I ran the same race in 34:16 and this year I ran around 35:39 I believe. (course was about 6.3 mi) I can't help but wonder if I'm in shape right now?! 48 hours before the race I did an 18 mile run and yesterday I ran 10 miles and did my strength training, so I'm sure I'm not rested at all. I know not being rested and tapered affects how I race but it's still annoying to see my times so much faster two years ago! In the midst of higher mileage and hard training it's hard to know if I'm fit.

I looked at some workouts I did before Twin Cities last year and they were crazy fast runs, yet probably way too close to the marathon, hence why I was done like burnt toast for that race! For instance a 26 mile run 3 weeks out, with one mile warm up, 24 miles averaging 6:08 pace and one mile cool down...that's faster than my NYC marathon pace back in 2008! That's the beauty of training plans....sometimes they work out perfectly or better than expected and sometimes you train way too hard for too long and your body doesn't paint the masterpiece you have been dreaming of....I'm determined to make my one and only marathon in 2010 a fantastic one :)

Quote for today: "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Hubbard, Elbert

1 comment:

  1. I like that quote you posted there at the end. It's something I need to remind myself. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete