"Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best." - Theodore I. Rubin

Friday, July 16, 2010

Racing tomorrow and thank goodness for GU!


I finally get to push myself and run like a bat outta hell tomorrow morning ☺ I’ll be racing my first race since May 3rd, and it’s a local summer series 5k here in Tempe at Kiwanis Park. It has been 114-115 degrees here the past couple days and tomorrow morning I am sure it will be around 100 degrees by the time we finish the race. The humidity has not helped the situation, yet we live in Phoenix and this is what we have to expect ☺ As far as the race goes I don’t know what to expect. I haven’t done much speedwork at all but I have done some strides after runs and this past Tuesday I did 8x300 most of them in 58 with 100 recovery, in my regular training shoes, after my run. They felt comfortable, so my goal to run 5:30’s tomorrow I think is attainable…we’ll see I guess. I’m just happy to go race with my fellow Phoenicians!

My little aches and pains seem to be better. I think some of the exercises in my strength routine irritated my hip/hamstring in my left leg, so now that I haven’t done them for a while, it seems to be better. There is still some achey pain in there but it’s not awful. My PF still gives me problems yet I take it one day at a time, manage it as best I can and remain positive.

My mileage this week will hit around 45 with today being my day off. My “long run” on Sunday will be 9 miles. I went up to Flagstaff on Wednesday and came back yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed running on the gorgeous trails up there and the weather was beautiful!! Next summer I think I may rent a house/apartment to do my summer training in the cooler weather and see how my body responds to altitude training. I’d love to go do it for the month of Sep and Oct this year before the NYC marathon, yet I don’t know how I would respond so I am not going to risk it before such an important race.

Anyway, another issue on my runs every now and then is feelings of dizziness. Sometimes I get it only 3 miles into my run or sometimes it can be 5 or 6, yet it’s kind of scary to think you are going to fall over and the ground is spinning. Before I run every morning I have half a pack of GU Chomps with water and some coffee, so maybe my blood sugar is just really low. I started running with a Vanilla Bean GU and when I get dizzy I eat it and within 3-4 minutes I am fine and able to run feeling completely normal. Thank goodness for my Gus because otherwise my runs could be cut short almost every day lately!

Quote for today: “It doesn’t matter where you are coming from. All that matters is where you are going”- Brian Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment