"Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best." - Theodore I. Rubin

Monday, June 21, 2010

Run run! Splish splash + Mr. S and Jack Black



Wowsers this past week has been oh so fabulous ☺ Last Monday, I almost cried tears of joy the first quarter mile of my run. It hit me for the first time in years how much I am completely in love with running; a simple run of 2 miles truly made my day. All week I felt completely content, yet in the back of my head I still had a little bit of fear that I would suddenly have sharp pains. Thank goodness they never showed up ☺

I ran a little over 20 miles with a day off on Wednesday. I went to Endurance Rehab for another check up and Wolfgang actually told me the adhesions in the soft tissue of my fascia are smaller and it seems better! Pretty amazing that despite starting to run again and getting less and less treatment has been doing some good. All the stretching I’ve been doing, wearing my Strasburg sock, the time off, etc. helped in some way or another. On every single run I wore my CEP compression socks (www.cepsocks.com) and I really believe they help so much, especially with my Brooks Trance shoes (http://www.brooksrunning.com/product/1200571B/123212/Trance%209) that already have a good arch support. I wear my neutral running shoes with orthotics pretty much everywhere I go too, even walking around the house, lol. This coming week I plan to run about 25 miles and I’m looking forward to it. Taking it slow each week and gradually increasing my mileage is definitely the smartest thing right now, and it makes me more and more excited to run, rather than immediately rushing into 8-10 mile runs every day.

About 6 months ago I wanted to order a suit from Splish (www.splish.com) that I really really liked, yet it was sold out in the two piece. Well I got on their site a couple weeks ago and they have it again! It’s called Awesome Girl, and it has a lightning bolt on the front and stars on the bottoms, hahaha…I just love it..I wore it for the first time yesterday and it’s really comfortable. We had a delicious breakfast at DD (Daily Dose) in Old Town Scottsdale for father’s day and we brought our bikes in dad’s truck so afterward we rode over to Eldorado for a swim. We rode back to Tempe after the swim and I relaxed the rest of the day ☺

We got to the pool a little bit before they opened so I had a chance to really put on sunscreen and not be lazy. Most of the time I can’t find sunscreen that actually WORKS when I’m in the pool and I still tend to get burned. I have tried a new more natural sunscreen by a company called Jack Black (www.getjackblack.com) and I really like it! I used it on my bike ride the other day and I love how it dries and doesn’t make me feel like I am in a sauna after I put it on. Most sunscreens say they are “non-greasy” but this one really is and I don’t have to worry about it dripping off, stinging my eyes, etc. It’s also fragrance free, doesn’t have a lot of crappy ingredients and overall seems great for my sensitive skin.

Another really awesome product by Jack Black that I started using is their Performance Remedy Dragon Ice Relief and Recovery Balm. It has some more natural herbs and pain relieving ingredients to reduce inflammation, muscles aches and pains, etc. I massaged it into my foot and it felt fantastic. I’m definitely going to start using it for self massage on any areas I have aches and pains because it actually works! I really like Jack Black products and I can’t wait to try the rest of their line.


Quote for today: "People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered. Love them anyway. If you do good, people may accuse you of selfish motives. Do good anyway. If you are successful, you may win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable. Be honest and transparent anyway. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway. People who really want help may attack you if you help them. Help them anyway. Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway." -- Mother Teresa

6 comments:

  1. SO bummed I am going to miss you on the 4th! That is the one summer series race I am not going to be at!! Will you be at the others? So excited that you are healing up and running again!! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ariana! Thanks for the message :)...actually I am not doing the race on the 4th, just the one on the 17th, so I will see you there :) You are racing in SD on the 4th right? Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally,
    Do you run with your orthodics also? I have run in them for years, but my shoes feel like lead with them in right now. Nice suit! I wonder if they have that in my size?
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robert,

    haha they have some funny suits for men! check 'em out :) Yes in the past I ran with my orthotics but lately I haven't been. I agree with you...sometimes my feet just feel a little too heavy and I like to feel like they are moving a bit more naturally. I typically wear some shoes with stability and some arch support but not motion control because that's TOO much for me. Hope this helps and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I am a dork, I saw #4 and thought it was the fourth of July race! lol! Yep, I will be at the 7/17 race, we will have to chat! See you then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sally,
    forward an email address to me on my rtaylor@prorer.org site. I may have a possible sponsor for you with regard to hydration systems. Been talking to him here in Seattle.
    robert

    ReplyDelete