"Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best." - Theodore I. Rubin

Friday, August 6, 2010

Ice ice baby, hydrating like crazy and racing again this weekend!!


I never thought I would ever say that I love ice baths, but I do, and I definitely believe they help my body from the waist down. I try to take at least one per week, since it takes a little while to accumulate enough ice in our freezer and I am not going to go buy huge bags of ice every other day; at least not until I am running 90-100 mpw. In college I NEVER took them. I hated them. I went to the locker room to take a hot shower instead of going to the training room to sit in 45-50 degree water that almost always put me to tears. After college I learned that the water was actually supposed to be around 50-60 degrees to actually give you the benefits, and any colder was actually detrimental. Therefore now I can handle doing them after I get numb and make heaving breathing noises that freak my dogs out when I first get in the tub ☺ I really think the icy water helps prevent muscle soreness, relieve any aches and pains I’m having and overall just refreshes my legs for my next workout session. I love the winter here in Phoenix because then I can just use my mom’s pool as an ice bath and I don’t have to make them in my own tub, lol.

I’ve noticed lately I’m drinking soooo much water, more than usual it seems. Yes it’s pretty hot here and you definitely have to stay hydrated but I think I need to start mixing in some of my GU electrolyte blend and it might help my body retain some of the water for a little longer and give it some flavor, haha. When we were in Cabo Liz and I bought a 1.5 liter bottle of water to drink before we went into the dance club. We soon were laughing our butts off because we thought we physically were going to get sick if we finished it. I started chugging as much as I could while we people watched before we went in and it definitely helped keep me hydrated all night, lol…when in doubt, always get the bigger water bottle. Right Liz? ;) I ended up finishing it (see picture) and felt pregnant afterward! HAHAHA

I’m pretty pumped to race at the Arizona Road Racers Summer Series 5k this coming Sunday at South Mountain. My training has gone very well the past 3 weeks since the last 5k I did at Kiwanis so I’m hoping I can dip under 17 minutes at this one. My training has gone up and therefore I’ll be going into this one with more mileage in my legs from this week, but I know I’m fitter so we’ll see how it goes. I’ll try to aim for 5:25 miles and run controlled and hard ☺ My singlets got screened with the Endurance Rehab logo so now I am all set, except for Triple Sports. When I have theirs screened on I will be done and ready to go the rest of the year.

Quote for today: “Do or do not. There is no TRY”

No comments:

Post a Comment