"Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best." - Theodore I. Rubin

Saturday, August 28, 2010

XC in Van Cortlandt tomorrow! + Letting go of one dream to pursue another,...for now


I'm in my final days of being in NYC and until the 6th I'll be staying in Manhattan, steps from the south entrance to Central Park. It's a perfect location for running, grabbing any groceries I need, subway stations, the bank, etc. I'll be doggie sitting while I'm here, and training of course. Other than that, lots of relaxing and counting down the days until I can see MY doggies! :)

Tomorrow is my final NYRR race while I'm here in NYC and it's a 4 mile Cross Country race at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. I did a run there this morning while also cheering on my sister and her teammates while they did their pre-season time trial. The last time I ran in VCP was back in Feb. 2006 for the USA XC championships. It felt like just yesterday, which is kinda scary since it was over 4 years ago! I'm looking forward to racing on different terrain and also testing out my new purple Brooks Mach Spikes. I really like running in VCP so I think I'll go there a couple more times before I go back to AZ. The subway ride is not that long and I like running on softer surfaces for longer runs, especially with all the running on cement and asphalt that I've done in the past weeks.

The rest of the week I have hard workouts on Tues and Sat and then a 17 mile long run on Sunday. My first day off in about 3 weeks will be on Monday, the day I leave. My mileage will hit 80 this upcoming week and then I'll go down to 75 the next week and gradually back up again until I hit 100, for the first time ever! I'm looking forward to being able to say I finally hit the triple digits in mileage, lol.

My sickness seems to have hit a plateau. It hasn't gotten worse and the other night I slept 11 hours which I think helped! I'm just happy it's not getting worse. Let's hope I can keep it that way and feel normal again soon...

Well, I officially withdrew from the Ironman World Championships and cancelled my condo reservation. It was extremely hard to do, but once I had my offer from the NYRR regarding the marathon a couple months ago and being that Kona is only 4 weeks prior to the marathon, I chose to go after the marathon. I have big dreams with my running and having a breakthrough marathon time is something I know I have in me. I fully plan to go to Kona in the future and race incredibly fast and strong, yet this year I finally accepted that it's not great timing. If I had two months after Kona to be rested and ready for NYC then I'd do both, but I don't think it's realistic to have a fabulous race at both. After the marathon I look forward to joining a masters swim group in the Phoenix area and making more of an effort to ride with others rather than always suffering solo. I miss rockin' my Splish Awesome Girl bathing suit (looks like Wonder Woman, lol) and getting out and riding Mr. Specialized farther than I drive!! :) Hopefully this great risk of letting go of Kona will result in a rewarding fast race in NYC in November!

Quote for today: "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission"- Neil Kendall

2 comments:

  1. sorry you aren't going to make it to Kona! good luck on NYC marathon

    ReplyDelete
  2. tri-mike,

    Thanks for the support and thanks for reading!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete