"Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best." - Theodore I. Rubin

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Positive direction...:)



Overall, things in my life are really going in a positive direction and I couldn't be happier:) This morning the Arizona Road Racers put on their final summer series 5k of the summer out at South Mountain, at the entrance off of Central Ave, a little bit south of Baseline. There were a TON of people out racing and it made me so happy to see that many people out running and then socializing afterward. I have met so many nice people at ARR events and I'm so grateful they put on so many races all year long. The last time I raced the S. Mtn. course was in 2008 and I definitely was in better shape at that time! I looked at my running log today and I ran a 16:56 that year! This morning I definitely fell short of my sub 17 goal, with a 17:27. The course is pretty hilly and I didn't feel that great going into the race, sort of "out of it" and lethargic. 5 minutes before the start I had to sprint back to my car because I realized my chip wasn't on, so that woke me up a bit! lol..needless to say it was just a decent performance and I look forward to running a stronger race next weekend, the Bronx Half Marathon, put on by the New York Road Runners.



Today will be my first double-run day since returning to running in June. It's a bit toasty outside so I think I'll wait a little bit to head out there for my 4 miles. After the race this morning I ate, showered, etc. and then took a nap. I did my core and strength work after my nap so my run will be my third workout today. I'm really starting to feel like a professional athlete as all the work continues to add up day after day; it's exciting :)

I had the pleasure of getting my August issue of Running Times in the mail yesterday and the little article Gordon Bakoulis wrote about me and the mental aspects of racing, turned out really well! She did a great job and I enjoyed reading it. I also got to meet her when I was in NYC in April for the More Fitness Magazine Women's Half Marathon and she is a fabulous runner still to this day, after being a top American runner in her younger years. It's on page 70 if you want to read it :)

Speaking of NYC, when I'm there for almost a month starting this Wed, I'm super excited because my last weekend there (Labor Day weekend), I'm going to go to the US Open Tennis Tournament!!!! I'm super happy because it's something I've wanted to do for years and I hope I get to see Serena and Venus play, especially Serena. I think they are amazing athletes and I'd love to see them kick some booty! I can't wait :)

I also can't wait for the new Dunkin Donuts on the corner of McClintock and Warner to open!! hahaha I LOVE their coffee and there isn't one super close to my mom's, but now there will be!! woo hoo...now when I work out in Tempe I'll have a great post workout coffee option. ahhh the little things that can really make my day...:):)

I forgot my camera to take pics this morning so until I have new ones I'll keep putting up fun ones from Cabo :)

Quote for today: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined"- Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment